Photojournalist Dan Habib rarely thought about inclusion before his son Samuel was born. Now he thinks about inclusion every day.
Habib's award-winning film Including Samuel documents his family's hopes and struggles as well as the experiences of four other individuals with disabilities and their families. Including Samuel-a highly personal, passionately photographed film-captures the cultural and systemic barriers to inclusion and features interviews with teachers, parents and disability rights experts.
DIGITAL DOWNLOAD Education Kit Features
DIGITAL DOWNLOAD Education Kit Extras including:
- Extended interviews
- An inclusion discussion by subjects in the film
- NHPTV Outlook: The Impact of Including Samuel
- A downloadable zip folder containing 17 time-coded word docs with subtitled language translations: Arabic, Catalan, Chinese, Czech, Dutch, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hindi, Italian, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Serbian, Spanish, Swedish
- 3-minute and 12-minute film trailers
Downloadable PDF of Educational Guide:
Authored by Habib, Mary Schuh, Ph.D., and Cheryl Jorgensen, Ph.D. (both with the University of New Hampshire Institute on Disability), this guide features:
- Introduction from the filmmaker
- Discussion questions & viewing tips
- Inclusion myths & realities
- A teacher's view on inclusion
- A synopsis of each major figure in the film
- A primer on language around disability
- Action ideas for you and your community
- Self-assessment questions: Is inclusion happening in your community?
This DIGITAL DOWNLOAD Education Kit contains:
- Including Samuel film file licensed for educational, instructional and institutional use;
- downloadable PDF of Including Samuel Educational Guide authored by Habib, Mary Schuh, Ph.D., and Cheryl M. Jorgensen, Ph.D.
- the inherent license for instructional and institutional use
- the rights for free (no admission fees) public screenings
If you have questions about which version of Including Samuel is best for you, click here to view Including Samuel Purchasing Guidelines.
Director, Producer and Cinematographer Dan Habib
Edited by Rikk Desgres/Pinehurst Pictures & Sound
Music by John Kimbrough and Keith Jones
Produced in collaboration with the Institute on Disability at the University of New Hampshire
An issue with our streaming video vendor software has been discovered that limits the access of some features of video player accessibility when using keyboard navigation. We have notified the vendor and are working with them to reach a resolution. If you need any additional support around this issue, please contact the Institute on Disability directly at email@example.com